Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu
Late Shri Rangaiah Naidu
Late Shrimati Ramanamma
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Chavatapalem, SPSR Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh
Shrimati Muppavarapu Usha
One Son and One daughter
B.A., B.L. (Educated at V.R. High School, Nellore; V.R. College, Nellore and Law College, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam)
Agriculturist/Farmer, Political and Social worker
Vice-President House, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi - 110011
Reading, Educating and motivating people
U.S.A., U.K., Malaysia, Singapore, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Australia, Mauritius, Maldives, Dubai, Hong Kong, Thailand, Spain, Egypt and Germany.
Chairman, Students' Union at College and also in University; Imprisoned under MISA during the emergency, 1975-77;
Vice President's House, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi - 110 011
- 1971: President, Students' Union, V.R. College, Nellore
- 1973-74: President, Students Union, Andhra University Colleges
- 1974:Convener, Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Kshatra Sangharsh Samiti of Andhra Pradesh
- 1977-80: President, Youth Wing of Janata Party, Andhra Pradesh
- 1978-83 & 1983-85: Member, Legislative Assembly, Andhra Pradesh
- 1980-83: Vice-President, Youth Wing of All India B.J.P.
- 1980-85: Leader, B.J.P. Legislature Party in Andhra Pradesh
- 1985-88: General Secretary, Andhra Pradesh State B.J.P.
- 1988-93: President, Andhra Pradesh State Unit of B.J.P.
- 1993 -2000: General Secretary, All India B.J.P.
- 1996 - 2000: Secretary (i) BJP Parliamentary Board, & (ii) BJP Central Election Committee, and (iii) Spokesperson, BJP
- April 1998: Elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka (1st term)
- 1998 - 99: Member, Committee on Home Affairs and Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Agriculture
- 1998 - 2001 & 2005 - 2013: Member, Tobacco Board
- 1999 - 2000: Member, Committee on Finance
- Jan 2000: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Rural Development
- 2000 (Sept) -2002 (June): Minister of Rural Development, Government of India
- 2002 (July) - 2004 (Oct): National President, B.J.P.
- 2004 (Jan) - 2004 (Feb): Member, Committee on External Affairs
- June 2004: Re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka (2nd term)
- 2004 - 06: Member, Standing Committee on Finance
- 2005: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
- 2006 - 2008: Chairman, Committee on Petitions (Rajya Sabha)
- 2006 onwards: Member, (i) BJP Parliamentary Board, and (ii) BJP Central Election Committee
- 2008 - 2014: Chairman, Committee on Home Affairs (Rajya Sabha)
- June 2010: Re-elected to Rajya Sabha in June, 2010 from Karnataka (3rd term)
- 2011 (Dec) - 2014 (May): Parliamentary Forum on Disaster Management
- 26 May 2014 - 5 July, 2016: Minister for Urban Development, Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs ;
- June, 2016 - Re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan (4th term)
- 6th July, 2016 - 17 July 2017: Minister for Urban Development, Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, and Information and Broadcasting.
Other interests: Agriculture, social work and writing articles in newspapers on the subjects of political and public interest; motivating voluntary organizations and involving and guiding constructive works in the fields of agriculture, health, animal care, vocational training, education etc.