|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Longitude||92° to 94° East|
|Latitude||6° to 14° North|
ALTITUDE (HIGHEST POINT)
Saddle Peak (North Andaman Island)
Mount Thullier (Great Nicobar Island)
|Total Area||8249 Sq. Km.|
|South Andaman District||3106 Sq. Km.|
|Nicobar District||1841 Sq. Km.|
|North & Middle Andaman District||3302 Sq. Km.|
|Urban Area||16.64 Sq. Km.|
|Rural Area||8232.36 Sq. Km|
CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHY
The islands have a tropical climate. The South-west Monsoon sets in Andaman Nicobar islands towards the end of May and the North-east Monsoon in November. There is no fury of hot summer, no chilling winter, no water clogging or traffic jams.
- Normal rainfall at Port Blair : 3900 mm
- Mean Minimum Temperature : 23.2° C
- Mean Maximum Temperature : 25° C
- Mean relative Humidity : 80 %
- The only volcano in India, Barren Island, is located in Andaman and Nicobar.
- It is an active volcano and had last erupted in 2017.
- It also has a mud volcano situated in Baratang island.
DISTANCE FROM MAINLAND
Distance by sea (In kms.)
|Between Port Blair & Chennai||1190|
|Between Port Blair & Kolkata||1255|
|Between Port Blair & Vishakapatnam||1200|
Distance by Air (In Kms.)
|Between Kolkata & Port Blair||1303|
|Between Chennai & Port Blair||1372|
|Between Vishakapatnam & Port Blair||1224|
|Between Delhi & Port Blair||2481|
Administratively, the Union Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands has three revenue Districts.
- Port Blair - the capital and gateway to the islands lies in South Andaman Island and falls under South Andaman District.
- The latest North & Middle Andaman District with Mayabunder as headquarters lies separated from South Andaman District by a creek.
- Car Nicobar is the District Head quarter of Nicobar District.
As per 2011 Census, the total population of Andaman & Nicobar stands 3,79,944 and the literacy rate is 86.27%.
- Bengali is the most spoken language in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Hindi is the official language of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- English is declared an additional official language for communication purposes.
As of 2011 census, Bengali is spoken as the first language by 28.49 percent of the Union Territory's population followed by Hindi (19.29%), Tamil (15.20%), Telugu (13.24%), Nicobarese (7.65) and Malayalam (7.22%).
Port Blair is the capital of the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Port Blair is the gateway to the pristine islands. Port Blair, an Island town offering water-based activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, sea-cruises, and glimpses of the history and culture of the region. The Aberdeen Bazaar forms the centre of the town.